In the campaign to Save Owls Head Park Reserve, there have been numerous contributions from scientists and citizens alike. You will see that various government materials have identified the property as “Owls Head Provincial Park” or “Owls Head Provincial Park Reserve.” On this page are some of the key resources that show the conservation history of Owls Head and the need to protect the site’s vital ecosystems.
Do you have information to share? We welcome submissions.
Bob Bancroft and the Eastern Shore Forest Watch Association are involved in a legal case in two parts: (A) a time extension to submit a judicial review and (B) The Judicial review itself
Select statements from SCIENTISTS and Organizations on the Ecological Value of Owls Head
- Report on the Ecological Importance of Owls Head Crown land by Dr. Jeremy Luncholm and Caitlin Porter.
- Letter from Scientists at St. Mary’s University (Caitlin Porter & Dr. Jeremy Lundholm)
- World Wildlife Fund Canada – Statement on Owls Head
- Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS) Statement & Letter to Premier to Stop the Sale of Owls Head
- Letter from Dr. Martin Willison to MP Sean Fraser
- Letter from Dr. Martin Willison to Minister Iain Rankin
- Letter from Dr. Karen Beazley Dalhousie Institute for Resource and Environmental Studies.
- Letter from the Cole Harbour Rural Heritage Society
- NS Wild Flora Society Letter
- Ecology Action Center Owls Head Statement, January 2020
- The Marine Side Marine Biologist Dr. Kristina Boerder discusses the Eastern Shore’s marine ecosystems
- Marine Q&A with Marine Biologist Dr. Kristina Boerder
HIstory of protection
Scientific articles on the value of ecosystems like owls head
- Canadian Geographic – Protecting Canada’s hidden “meadows of the sea”
- WWF Canada – Protecting Canada’s Carbon Sinks
- Biophysical and Ecological Overview of the Eastern Shore Islands Area of Interest (AOI) Department of Fisheries and Oceans
- Ecosystem structure and services in eelgrass and rockweed habitats
- Piping Plovers & Beach Habitat in Nova Scotia
Policy Documents and publications Regarding the Status or Ecological Value of Owls Head
- Nova Scotia: Our Parks & Protected Areas Plan
- Eastern Shore Seaside Park System – CoNServation via Ecology Action Center
- Nova Scotia Wetland Conservation Policy
- Halifax Green Network Plan Owls Head is on page 35 and 55 indicated as a Park
- Owls Head Provincial Park Protection Values Sheet
- Nova Scotia Protected Areas Commercial Benefits Final Report
- Coastal Access in Nova Scotia by Peter Green, Dalhouise University 2004 An interesting document to access if you want to see the history of concerns about public access to Nova Scotia’s coastline
- Species At Risk Act (Federal)
- Endangered Species Act (Provincial)
- Proposed Owls Head Act introduced by Gary Burrill, first reading February 26, 2020
Government documents obtained by Freedom of Information request:
- Download full FOIPOP 2019-00947-DLF 24Mb (hosted on govt. web site) This is the original FOIPOP, regarding the offer from Lighthouse Links. 405 pages and heavily redacted, but the clues are there.
- FOIPOP_2019-00946-EXE 4.8 Mb This FOIPOP is mostly focused on the negotiations to buy the parcel owned by the federal government. (The Federal Government has declined to participate)
- FOIPOP 2020-00068 PRE This was a response to a 3rd request, which had been submitted by a political party. It turned up no results but it could be significant for what was not found. The request was for “Correspondence between the Premier’s Office and Michel Samson between January 2017 and January 2020 on the subject of Owls Head land.”
- FOIPOP 2020 00947.pdf Newly revealed documents, gained through a Freedom of Information Request by CPAWS NS. From The Letter of Offer to the Valuation of Owls Head, see our summary here.
- Provincial Park Maps List click on Owls Head in the list to see the map
- Eastern Shore Islands Wilderness Area Map
- Zoomable Central Nova Scotia Map
- Nova Scotia Parks and Protected Areas Interactive Online Map
- Eastern Shore West Generalized Future Land Use Map HRM
- Eastern Shore West Zoning Map
- Owls Head Provincial Park on Google Maps