Marine biologist Dr. Kristina Boerder explains that Eastern Shore marine ecosystems and salt marshes are providing “important ecosystem services” that benefit humans and nature.
- Protection from coastal erosion
- Providing important habitat for a multitude of species
- Benefiting local fisheries
- Acting as important carbon sinks (absorbing & storing carbon dioxide)
- Providing breeding and nursery habitat for terrestrial, near-shore, and migratory birds
- Providing “shelter, foraging, and breeding habitat for marine invertebrates, such as shrimp and crabs, and small fish”