“This is just more evidence that leaving protected areas to provide these ecosystems services is important for our province,” Kendall said.(more…)
Marine biologist Dr. Kristina Boerder explains that Eastern Shore marine ecosystems and salt marshes are providing “important ecosystem services” that benefit humans and nature.
- Protection from coastal erosion
- Providing important habitat for a multitude of species
- Benefiting local fisheries
- Acting as important carbon sinks (absorbing & storing carbon dioxide)
- Providing breeding and nursery habitat for terrestrial, near-shore, and migratory birds
- Providing “shelter, foraging, and breeding habitat for marine invertebrates, such as shrimp and crabs, and small fish”